Important! Please Read!

Before exploring my blog, please remember this: If you came here to sincerely learn about Islam, please be open minded. Let go of any ill-feelings, ideas, thoughts, impressions, etc. that you may have against Islam or Muslims, due to the media or judging a "Muslim."

For better understanding of Islam and Muslims, I suggest reading the posts in order starting from August with the label Introduction to Islam (scroll down and look to the right for blog archive for proper order (from bottom to top)).

If you are interested in learning more about Islam and Muslims and would like additional materials/information, please leave a comment and I will try my best to help.


*Information that reads "Sisters" is for females ONLY. Likewise, anything reading "Brothers" is for males ONLY. Whether "sisters or brothers" is mentioned throughout my blog or on another site, please respect the rights of other people, both Muslims and non-Muslims.

**I do not intend to argue or debate with anyone, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs. If something is personal, disrespectful, or offensive, keep it to yourself. THINK BEFORE YOU ACT! (this includes what you type) If you do not wish to learn about Islam or Muslims, but just want to start trouble, do it somewhere else, not here! (or better, don't start trouble at all) Haters are NOT welcome here!

Please leave comments or questions you may have regarding Islam or Muslims. I will get to them as soon as possible. Enjoy your time here!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dutifulness to Parents in the Light of the Holy Quran and the Authentic Sunnah (second edition) by Nidham Sakkajh (book notes)

English translation used here by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan from quranexplorer.com

Chapter 1- The Quran’s Commandment Regarding Parents

1. And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honor. (23) And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: "My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was young." (24) Quran, 17:23-24

2. And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years — give thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination. (14) But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do. (15) Quran, 31:14-15

3. And We have enjoined on man to be good and dutiful to his parents, but if they strive to make you join with Me (in worship) anything (as a partner) of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do. (8) Quran, 29:8

4. And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents. His mother bears him with hardship and she brings him forth with hardship, and the bearing of him, and the weaning of him is thirty months, till when he attains full strength and reaches forty years, he says: "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You, and make my offspring good. Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslims (submitting to Your will)." (15) They are those from whom We shall accept the best of their deeds and overlook their evil deeds. (They shall be) among the dwellers of Paradise — a promise of truth, which they have been promised. (16) But he who says to his parents: "Fie upon you both! Do you hold out the promise to me that I shall be raised up (again) when generations before me have passed away (without rising)?" While they (father and mother) invoke Allâh for help (and rebuke their son): "Woe to you! Believe! Verily, the promise of Allâh is true." But he says: "This is nothing but the tales of the ancient." (17) They are those against whom the word (of torment) is justified among the previous generations of jinn and mankind that have passed away. Verily, they are ever the losers (18) And for all, there will be degrees according to that which they did, that He (Allâh) may recompense them in full for their deeds. And they will not be wronged. (19) On the Day when those who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic monotheism) will be exposed to the fire (it will be said): "You received your good things in the life of the world, and you took your pleasure therein. Now this day you shall be recompensed with a torment of humiliation, because you were arrogant in the land without a right, and because you used to rebel against Allah's command (disobey Allâh). (20) Quran, 46: 15-20


5. They ask you (O Muhammad S.A.W) what they should spend. Say: Whatever you spend of good must be for parents and kindred and orphans and AlMasâkin (the poor) and the wayfarers, and whatever you do of good deeds, truly, Allâh knows it well. (215) Quran, 2:215

Chapter 2- Dutifulness to Parents is 1 of the Prophet’s Noted Characteristics

1. "He ['Īsā (Jesus)] said: Verily! I am a slave of Allâh, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet.” (30) "And He has made me blessed wherever I be, and has enjoined on me Salât (prayer), and Zakât, as long as I live." (31) "And dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblest. (32) "And Salâm (peace) be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!" (33) Such is 'Īsā (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). (It is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute). (34) Quran, 19:30-34

2. "O my Lord! Make me one who performs As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and (also) from my offspring, our Lord! And accept my invocation. (40) "Our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and (all) the believers on the day when the reckoning will be established." (41) Quran, 14:40-41

3. My Lord! Bestow Hukm (religious knowledge, right judgment of the affairs and Prophethood) on me, and join me with the righteous, (83) And grant me an honorable mention in later generations. (84) And make me one of the inheritors of the Paradise of delight. (85) And forgive my father; verily he is of the erring. (86) And disgrace me not on the day when (all the creatures) will be resurrected. (87) Quran, 26:83-87

4. Till, when they came to the valley of the ants, one of the ants said: "O ants! Enter your dwellings, lest Sulaimân (Solomon) and his hosts should crush you, while they perceive not." (18) So he [Sulaimân (Solomon)] smiled, amused at her speech and said: "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your favors which You have bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds that will please You, and admit me by Your Mercy among Your righteous slaves." (19) Quran, 27:18-19

5. And give to the kinsman his due and to the Miskîn (poor) and to the wayfarer. But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift. (Tafsir. At-Tabarî) (26) Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the Shayatîn (devils), and the Shaitân (devil, Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord. (27) And if you (O Muhammad S.A.W) turn away from them (kindred, poor, wayfarer, whom We have ordered you to give their rights, but if you have no money at the time they ask you for it) and you are awaiting a mercy from your Lord for which you hope, then, speak unto them a soft, kind word (i.e. Allâh will give me and I shall give you). (28) Quran, 17:26-28

6. So We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy. (101) And, when he (his son) was old enough to walk with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a dream that I am slaughtering you (offer you in sacrifice to Allâh), so look what you think!" He said: "O my father! Do that which you are commanded, Inshâ' Allâh (if Allâh will), you shall find me of As-Sâbirun (the patient)." (102) Then, when they had both submitted themselves (to the will of Allâh), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (or on the side of his forehead for slaughtering); (103) And We called out to him: "O Abraham! (104) You have fulfilled the dream!" Verily! thus do We reward the Muhsinûn (good-doers - see V.2:112). (105) Verily, that indeed was a manifest trial. (106) And We ransomed him with a great sacrifice (i.e. a ram). (107) Quran, 37:101-107

7. (It was said to his son): "O Yahya (John)! Hold fast the Scripture [the Taurât (Torah)]." And We gave him wisdom while yet a child. (12) And (made him) sympathetic to men as a mercy (or a grant) from Us, and pure from sins [i.e. Yahya (John)] and he was righteous, (13) And dutiful towards his parents, and he was neither an arrogant nor disobedient (to Allâh or to his parents). (14) And Salâm (peace) be on him the day he was born, the day he dies, and the day he will be raised up to life (again)! (15) Quran, 19:12-15

Chapter 3- Dutifulness to Parents Follows Immediately After Worshipping Allah

1. And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honor. (23) Quran, 17:23

2. Worship Allâh and join none with Him (in worship), and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, Al-Masâkin (the poor), the neighbor who is near of kin, the neighbor who is a stranger, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (you meet), and those (slaves) whom your right hands possess. Verily, Allâh does not like such as are proud and boastful. (36) Quran, 4:36

3. And (remember) when We took a covenant from the children of Israel, (saying): Worship none but Allâh (alone) and be dutiful and good to parents, and to kindred, and to orphans and Al-Masâkîn (the poor), and speak good to people [i.e. enjoin righteousness and forbid evil, and say the truth about Muhammad, peace be upon him], and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and give Zakât. Then you slid back, except a few of you, while you are backsliders. (Tafsir Al-Qurtubî). (83) Quran, 2:83

4. Say (O Muhammad S.A.W): "Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with Him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty - We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to Al-Fawâhish (shameful sins, illegal sexual intercourse,) whether committed openly or secretly, and kill not anyone whom Allâh has forbidden, except for a just cause (according to Islâmic law). This He has commanded you that you may understand. (151) Quran, 6:151

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: